Stud Service Fees
We have been leasing, breeding, and raising pack llamas since 2016. During this time we have spent countless hours researching and experiencing first-hand what it takes to be a top-quality pack llama. In order to improve our own herd, we have been purchasing the best stud llamas we can get our hands on.
Only our top studs are given the chance to reproduce. In order to become a “top stud”, our boys first have to prove themselves as packers on the trail and show that they are capable of doing whatever is asked of them. If they don’t pack well we don’t allow them to breed, regardless of their bloodlines.
Our ccara llama breeding goals focus on producing llamas that we know can handle whatever the Rocky Mountains can throw at them. We focus on producing high-quality ccara pack llamas that are large in size, short-wooled, have a good demeanor, and proper conformation. They need to look good, but they also need to be smart and have the desire to work and be a commercial pack llama. Not all pack llamas are created equal so it’s important to look for llamas with specific traits outlined by the North American Ccara Association.
We are proud to offer up some of our best packers for outside stud services. If you need help deciding which stud would be best for your female(s), please contact us and we can give you our recommendations!
How does the process work?
- Prepare your female(s) for transport to our ranch in Parowan, Utah:
- Ensure that your female(s) is/are healthy (not skinny or overweight – both can make successful breeding very difficult).
- Obtain a vet health inspection (if they are traveling out of state).
- Run a fecal test to check for parasites (we don’t want our studs getting sick).
- Pay the non-refundable $200 deposit:
- The $200 deposit will cover the cost (hay/water) and time it will require to take care of your female(s) while they are at our ranch for 1-2 months.
- The remaining balance will be due once the cria is born alive and well. (if the stud fee is $1000, your $200 deposit will go towards that fee. So you will owe the remaining $800 once the cria is born alive and well).
- Bring your female(s) to our ranch:
- Your female(s) come stay at our ranch (located in southern Utah) for 30-60 days. During this time we will attempt to breed them and ensure that they are pregnant.
- The longer they can stay at our ranch, the better chance they have of getting pregnant and having a successful birth.
- Take your female(s) home:
- After we are confident your female(s) is/are successfully bred, they will return to you.
- Once the cria is born happy and healthy, you will pay the remaining balance of the stud fee.
- If the cria is stillborn, has health issues, or the female doesn’t give birth you do not pay the remaining balance of the stud fee. We can attempt to breed the female(s) again, however, you will need to pay the $200 non-refundable deposit again to cover the cost of feed and our time.
Typically we only like to bring your female(s) to our ranch for breeding. But if you have a large number of females that you would like bred to the same stud, it may make more sense to send the stud to your ranch. Please contact us and we can talk more about this option.
Kahless – $1000 Stud Fee
Kahless is arguably the best stud that we own. He has everything you look for in a ccara working llama:
– Good size (47″ at the withers)
– Excellent bone structure and conformation
– Calm demeanor with a never-give-up attitude
– Over 20+ offspring
Some of Kahless’ offspring:
Skye – $500 Stud Fee
Skye has a couple years of commercial packing experience under his belt and he has quickly turned into one of our favorite packers. He is extremely athletic, has a great stride length, and can cover ground like you wouldn’t believe. He is very strong and can easily handle 80 pound loads all day.
He has proven on the trail that he deserves a spot in our breeding program. His first cria is due in 2022 and we plan to breed him to more girls in 2022.
– 47″ at the withers
– Very smart and loves to pack
– Extremely athletic with a tall/lanky build
– Scored a perfect 50/50 on the CCARA screening process
Lloyd – $750 Stud Fee
Lloyd is one of the largest studs that we own. He is the second cria that we raised from birth. He turns 4 in 2021, and he has really impressed us so far with his packing ability.
Unfortunately, he fractured his hind leg during 2021 and likely won’t ever pack again. We are very bummed, but hopefully he will still be able to breed so we can keep using him in our breeding program. His first cria is due in 2022 and we’ll see if he is still able to breed this year.
We also have other studs listed on our website on the “Packers” page. Please feel free to check out some of our other studs and see if they would be a better fit for you. Please contact us if you would like to use one of our studs for breeding!
Check out our most recent YouTube video!